LGBTQ persons can adopt as a single parent as long as they fit the following requirements as per the Ministry of Social and Family Development.
- Residency Status – You must be residents in Singapore to adopt, i.e. Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents, or holders of Employment Pass, Dependant’s Pass or any other Pass which the Family Court deems as residents in Singapore.
- Age – You must be at least 25 years old and at least 21 years older than the child to be adopted. Maximum age gap between adopter and child must not be more than 50 years older than the child.
- Marital status – If you are a single male, you are not allowed to adopt a girl, unless there are special circumstances to justify the adoption.
- Home study report – If you wish to adopt a foreign child or a child from MSF, you are required to apply for a Home Study Report.
- Pre-adoption Briefing – You should attend a compulsory Pre-Adoption Briefing (PAB) before you apply for a home study or begin the legal proceedings on adoption.
The estimated cost of adoption is between SGD$8,000 to SGD$20,000.
TIPS: Coming Soon!